Having founded, built up and then sold my own leading educational software business to Granada TV, I am fully aware of what it takes to make a business stand out from the crowd.
If you are looking for someone who has all the 'certificates and diplomas', then I'm probably not the person for you. If you are looking for someone who thrives in an environment where new ideas and solutions are the life-blood of your business, has years of working with and developing others and is continually willing to learn new skills and approaches, then I might just be the person you are looking for.
MightyMango has been a company that I have used for developing a range of products and side-projects. The movement has been gradually away from educational based titles/products to a more business focused solutions.
Whilst developing MightyMango I've been involved in a wide range of projects.
- Founded the company, initially to develop educational software.
- Now do work for third-party clients.
- Developed The Spellbots, a spelling management system for schools using Codeigniter and Parse Server.
- Developed several iOS apps and online solutions for companies.
- Parse Server
Education Development Officer
As a member of the School Improvement team, I was involved in the development of technology in all schools. The post coincided with an exciting/interesting time as the Education Department were in the process of a wide scale refresh of technology in schools. This involved both new hardware and the development of new methods of teaching.
I took the lead role in developing: Education Department 2020 Vision for ICT and Technology.
- Responsible for 'Learning Through Technology' across schools in Guernsey.
- Managed the project (GILE2), rolling out computer hardware, software and training to all primary and secondary schools.
- Developed the islands policy in regards to technology in schools.
Publisher and Lead Developer
A requirement of selling the company to Granada TV was that I worked for them for 3 years both as a lead developer and also to lead and develop a team of junior developers.
- As a publisher I ran a team of 3 developers and a producer.
- Developed several high selling titles for the company.
- Borland Pascal
Founder and Lead Developer
Having spent my career up until this point in education and having developed award winning software in my spare time, I decided to leave teaching and found a new company.
BlackCat became one of the leading educational software houses in the UK and also in countries such as South Africa.
We developed educational software tools, such as Information Workshop, NumberBox and Write Away, covering areas such as data handling, spreadsheets and word processing. All these being available for Windows and forming an important part of Research Machine's Window Box.
- Become one of the highest earning companies in the sector.
- Won numerous awards for the software we developed.
- Sold the company to Granada TV in 1999.
- Visual Basic
- Borland Pascal
Advisory Teacher (ICT)
Skills & Tools
BEd Hons in EducationCardiff University - Cardiff1985 to 1987
Cert Ed. in EducationTrinity College - Carmarthen1979 to 1982
The Complete React Developer Course with Hooks and ReduxOnline : UdemyCompleted June 12th, 2019
BETT AwardsAt BlackCat we won numerous internationally recognised awards for our educational software..
- English (Native)
- Welsh (Intermediate)
- Samaritans Volunteer
- Hill Climbing